Thursday, March 7, 2013

Clean of the Day!


One of my new years resolutions this year was "the clean of the day". The idea was each day clean or organize something in the house. When I made that resolution I thought it would be difficult and my original intention was to have a cleaner more organized home. The focus was totally on the results and all that I was going to accomplish. 
Then I read this passage in The Miracle of Mindfulness, by Thich Nhat Hanh: 
While washing the dishes one should only be washing the dishes, which means that while washing the dishes one should be completely aware of the fact that one is washing the dishes. At first glance, that might seem a little silly: why put so much stress on a simple thing? But that's precisely the point. The fact that I am standing there and washing these bowls is a wondrous reality. I'm being completely myself, following my breath, conscious of my presence, and conscious of my thoughts and actions. There's no way I can be tossed around mindlessly like a bottle slapped here and there on the waves.
Wow, what a revolutionary idea! Being completely present while doing chores. Who knew that focusing on the process instead of the results would make doing housework more meaningful and more enjoyable. So here's to the clean of the day, with mindfulness, and to the clean master bath toilet!
http://crazysunom.com/blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment